Skip to main content

Rain for Niger

"Rain, rain go away" is not something you'll ever hear anyone in Niger say. As you know, we have 8-9 months of no rain and very low humidity. We say that from November through February if there could be such a thing as negative humidity, we've got it.

Then in May the humidity comes back with a vengence as the inter-tropical front begins moving north. As it pulls north, it brings the rain with it. Existence in Niger is dependant on the rain we get from June through September. Good rain...good harvest...plenty to eat. Poor rains...poor harvest...famine.

This year it looks like the rains are NOT good at all. Since our last request for prayer there has been some rain, but we need a lot more to get a harvest. In fact, we are going to need rain well into October. Keep praying that rain will come at the right times (it doesn't help if we get it all at one time!) and that the rainy season will go well into October.

Another missionary who lives in Maradi, about 500 miles east of us related that they were having a prayer meeting for rain and while they were praying it began raining. Pray for Christians in Niger to pray and to see God at work in miraculous ways.

I must admit my faith is sometimes weak on this one. Why does Niger have to suffer so much? They already are the poorest country on earth. We dread going back to a famine situation. We have more than everybody around us, so they look to us for help. But we sure don't have enough to help everybody so it always puts us in a tight place.

These are pictures of a dust storm. The inter-tropical front moves north-east, then our storms come from the east (I don't know....ask a weather expert). As they come they pick up the Sahara dust and the early storms of the rainy season are almost always preceeded by a dust storm. Enormous clouds of dust come rolling in. The air is perfectly still as you watch the dust approach. Then it hits with high wind, obliterating the sun and often making it black as night. The clean-up afterwards is huge! It feels like half the Sahara desert was dumped in your house. The storms are so powerful that they are the excitement of the year. Unless you've experienced one it's hard to explain why we actually enjoy them!

Comments

Jane Stutzman said…
I have often wondered, too, why Niger seems to be always on the edge of dry, without ample rain, and, therefore, in perpetual famine. I have prayed for the rains to come when they should...I share your concerns for the starving of your people there--it hurts to think about it; it must be unbearable to live amidst it.
Does God see? Does He care? The answers have to be "Yes," and He is loving, wise and powerful. I pray with you that He will intervene, with thankfulness for the rain that has come recently.
And....I also don't understand that you enjoy those dust storms.
Chinglishman said…
Those pictures bring back some memories.
I've been making you dvd's, and there are about 3 shots of dust storms on those.
Carol Wilson said…
Okay, I believe you that the dust storms are enjoyable. One couldn't tell it from looking at the pictures. Your posting combines excellent verbal and visual pictures to make this weather phenomenon come live.
Carol
Dusty Penguin said…
First you hear the sound of a train roaring in the distance. Then you yell, "Windows!" And everyone in the family runs at top speed to close all windows, grab laundry off the line (if there's time), shut down the computer, and cover anything you have time to cover. In our house the first term we didn't have louvered windows. We had corrugated metal shutters like the Africans, and it was pitch black in the house. They kept out the dust better than the louvered windows, however. The storm isn't the bad part--it's the dust cleanup! I always figured, however, that it was about time for a good cleaning anyway. But after the first time it's just drudgery!
Palmer said…
Hi Nancy,

Thanks for visiting my blog. I was wondering if you happen to know Chris and Helene Zoolkoski. They are friends of ours from here in Klamath Falls who are working in Niger. He is a doctor there with SIM. Great folks. They, too, had expressed a lot of concern about the lack of rain this year.

You can e-mail me at palmer.muntz@oit.edu.

Palmer
Hannatu said…
Yeah, Dusty Penguin, I love the storms, but hate the cleanup. Sometimes we get all that wind and dust and then no rain and that's when you really hate the cleanup.

Palmer, We sure do know the Zoolkoskis. Helene and I went to boarding school together as kids, then we taught together when I was a newlywed and she was still single. We're praying for a miracle for her!

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Hospitality

My mother-in-law, Jean, is an amazing person with many gifts.  One of the first things I noticed about her when I was but a young bride, was her gift of hospitality.  It was nothing for her to invite a large group of people over, make each one feel welcome, cook a big meal,and seemingly do it without stressing herself out.  I don't know if hospitality just came naturally to her or if she learned it.  In this picture you can see Jean throwing a party for a class she taught in Nigeria.  




I believe that for me it has been a learned skill.  My parents were hospitable and it wasn't unusual for us to have guests over (though usually not as many at a time as my mother-in-law would do!).  But when I started living on my own, I had to learn hospitality.  The first time I invited somebody over for a meal, the lid got stuck on the pot of vegetables, I put too much salt or soda or something in the muffins, and I forgot to serve milk and sugar with the hot drinks.  I've gotten much bett…

2016 in Review

Let's take a look at the year 2016.

January's big events were the dedication of the Tamajaq New Testament, our annual Spiritual Life Conference, helping friends find a house, a trip to visit missionaries in the bush, attended a big wedding, and celebrated John's birthday. It was a pretty busy month.  My January picture is from our trip to the bush and shows baobab trees.  



February was a little less crazy.  John started taking moolo lessons.  February is the time of year when the fresh fruits and veggies are in season so I did a lot of work to freeze veggies for the hot months ahead.  This picture isn't terribly exciting, but a year after the church burnings this church we helped plant back in 1989 finally had a new ceiling and a fresh coat of paint.



In March we attended another big wedding, froze more veggies, celebrated Easter, and visited a church in another town.  John and I have visited a lot of churches in the past three years as he has done research for his doctora…

Meat Roll-ups

Tonight I made meat roll-ups.  And I got to use some ingredients that made food prep much easier than normal!  I did make two batches of rolls so that John could have a lactose-free meal.

The first thing to do is to brown some hamburger.  With the main batch I stirred a tin of mushroom soup into the browned meat.  For John's batch, I stirred in flour, some almond milk, and seasonings just enough to moisten it, but not to make it really runny.  In Niger, I would make it the second way since we don't have tinned soup.

Next I made a batch of biscuit dough using Bisquick.  Of course, in Niger, I have to make the biscuit dough from scratch.  I mixed it up with the almond milk.  Once the dough is rolled out in a strip, spread the meat mixture on it.  Roll it up like you would cinnamon rolls and cut into slices.  Lay the slices on a cookie sheet and cook in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.



While they're baking, I browned fresh mushrooms in butter (in Niger I would use tinned mushroo…