Friday, June 16, 2006

A New Driver



I guess one could say Daniel has wanted to drive for a long time! This push car was his favorite toy until somebody too big for the toy sat on the steering wheel part. That was the end of that car! And all little boys love sitting in Daddy's seat, pretending to drive.

Well, he need pretend no longer. Daniel is now an official licensed driver! He got his permit in October and has logged the required 50 hours of supervised driving. So, on June 14, the day school officially let out, I took him down to the local DMV for his road test. He passed with flying colors and is now the proud owner of a Pennsylvania license. He says his only worry is that I'm going to make him run errands for me now!

He does a good job driving. Things are still a bit mechanical for him rather than automatic, but that will come with experience. Still, it's a bit scary handing him the keys and letting him go off by himself. He went over to his friend's house last night and got home safely. Here in Pennsylvania he has a "junior license" at least until he is 18. With the junior license, he is not supposed to be driving past 11 p.m. Otherwise, he doesn't really have any special restrictions.

I'm proud of him as I watch him grow up, but a little scared, too. This was a big step towards independence. I don't really want Daniel or Suzanne to stay dependent on us, but still.....part of me dreads the day they're fully off on their own.

6 comments:

Hall Chronicles said...

Nancy, that is really a very nice write-up. I know how proud you must be of your kids (I know we are, too) and your Mom and I can relate to how you feel--dreading the day when the nest will be empty. Yet it is inevitable. It is as though it were yesterday that I "showed you the ropes" on riding a Denver city bus, then you did it on your own with me along, and then you were on your own. And then off to college and we found out how true it is, "the day they go off to college is the last day they live at home." They come back for school breaks and holidays, but then never truly live at home in the same sense as before. Then the day you left, on your own, and alone, for Africa. Truly one of the hardest days of our lives--for we two who were waving goodbye. Then for the first time ever we understood why your Grandpa and Grandma Gay shed tears as they saw us load into the car and drive off and soon be on our way to Africa. I wondered then, "Why the tears?" Now I know. So we share with you these experiences that are bitter-sweet.

sue said...

Nancy, I've been enjoying reading your blog for a bit now ... I am glad to see the Jeremy will be leaving one nest, and finding another to land (at least for a while.) They do grow up!

mymeanderings said...

I think I saw him flying down 81 at midnight going about 85 MPH

Just kidding

I laughed outloud at the running errands line!

Carrie Yager said...

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. That really puts things in perspective. I think Scott and I both KNOW in our hearts what the right thing to do is, we just received that warning from someone we know and trust, so we considered it for fear of being prideful. Drop back by anytime. :)

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious. Went to Paris once on mission and was totally taken off by a bidet. Just the concept weirded me out. And then there's the public restrooms you have to PAY TO USE!!

carrie Yager said...

that is hilarious. Went to Paris once on mission and was totally taken off by a bidet. Just the concept weirded me out. And then there's the public restrooms you have to PAY TO USE!!