Saturday, May 13, 2006

Drinking Chai



We've done a lot of traveling this year to speak at different churches. In the fall we went to a church in central PA and we stayed with some friends -- people who had been kind to John when he was first starting out as a single man on his own. They gave us a drink of "Mystic Chai". It sounded kind of new age to me...could Christians drink this stuff. Well, I got over my hangups about what it was called, I mean, it's just a drink after all. It was delicious and Suzanne and I loved it. Our hostess said she had bought it at Sam's Club, so we got some there. But, being the penny pincher I am, I decided if one could make their own mix it would be cheaper. So I got on the internet and found a recipe. I made it and we decided it was just as good or better than the store bought stuff! Suzanne drinks it every morning and every night. It's her comfort "food".

The recipe takes a little time to make because you have to run it all through the blender, but it's worth the effort. I make a lower-calorie, lower-fat version of it, too. Here it is:

Mystic Chai
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer (I use lite)
1 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer (I use lite)
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea (plain, not lemon flavored)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom (this is expensive, but vital to the recipe)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar, and instant tea. Stir in giner, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
2. To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water.

Note: You can spice it up even further by adding 1 teaspoon nutmeg and allspice and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper.

Makes 36 servings.

When you need a little comfort next winter on a cold night, try a cup of Mystic Chai! For other fun recipees, look at http://ThriftyFun.com.

8 comments:

mymeanderings said...

I love chai!! I don't think I have had this version, but you have me interested!!

journeyer said...

hmmm, thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it out. I got hooked on Kenya's chai. Which is half milk and half water, boiled with with a strong tea. Add about 2 or 3 scoops of sugar and AHHHHHH. Delicious. It really isn't anything like the "American Chai's" which tend to be much like what your recipe is, instead it is a sweet, creamy drink. Thanks Nancy. - by the way, very cute pictures of Suzanne.

Dusty Penguin said...

Erika and I LOVE chai, but I especially love the kind you buy at a Starbucks type place, with the steamed milk and all foamy! Delicious. Dean bought me my first cup of chai when we were all in CO for Parent's Weekend at the USAFA. We were on our way to church at Beth Eden, and stopped on the way for a little "breakfast". The pepper was the first thing I really noticed about it, and at first couldn't decide whether I really liked it or not!

Hannatu said...

I usually leave out the pepper, but I suppose authentic chai has pepper. I've had so many kinds of chai that I don't know what's "authentic". I've had the kind with the foamy milk on it and that is good! When I come in June I'll bring some of the chai I make and let you see what you think before you make a huge batch of it.

Chinglishman said...

One of the MK's from my class at KA owns and operates her own Chai business. You may be drinking some of hers. You never no.

Dean

Chinglishman said...

There was pepper?

Hannatu said...

Beats me! I know some recipes have pepper but I've never had any with pepper. You'll have to ask dusty penguin if the stuff you fed her had pepper. Try to remember the name of the person who makes mystic chai!!

Dusty Penguin said...

Well, we hear from another world! Yes, the first chai that Dean bought me was probably the most peppery I've ever tasted. And the Starbucks chai has a hint of pepper, too. How cool you know someone who has a chai business. Why do the rest of us have boring jobs?