Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Adoption

adopt
vt.
1 to choose and bring into a certain relationship; specif., to take into one's own family by legal process and raise as one's own child

When I was little I had very blonde hair while every one else in the family had dark hair. Since I looked a little different than the rest of the family my dad would tease me and say I got mixed up in the hospital. My friend, Joy Beacham, was born in the same hospital as me but a few days earlier, so my dad said I was really a Beacham. As an adult Joy and I again became friends and I got to know two of the Beacham families. I realized (not that I had ever really believed it!) that I couldn't possibly be a Beacham! I am only 5'2" and there isn't a Beacham who is under 5'9"! I'm just too short to genetically have ever belonged to their family. Don't worry, I was never psychologically scarred by this teasing. I knew I was loved even if I had gotten mixed up in the hospital.

Last week we were invited to an adoption party and it was touching to see the love the parents and older siblings have for the twins that were being adopted. The family had had the twins in foster care since their premature birth over a year ago. How exciting that these babies they had visited in the NIC-unit, that they had taken into their family and treated as their own since day one, had finally legally become their very own children.

Other friends in Eastern Europe just adopted two little girls. They have a son, but found it impossible to have more children, so they decided to adopt. It was a long and difficult process with all the paperwork and red tape involved, but they were finally told there was a little girl they could adopt. BUT.....they would have to adopt all six of her siblings! That was a little more than our friends wanted to take on! To make a long story short, only one of those siblings had the same father and mother as "their" girl and it worked out that they adopted two little girls instead of just one. Even that was more than they had planned, but God is sovereign and he obviously wants both of those girls in their family.

I think these stories are touching....how a family opens its home and its arms to children who, by birth, are not their own. But by a conscious decision, they make these children their own. Their food, their resources, their home, everything they have belongs to their adopted children. Their own biological children make room for them, sharing their toys and their parents' time. The parents no longer refer to "our biological children" and "our adopted children". All are their children on equal footing with no distinctions between them.

These adoptions are a beautiful picture of what God has done for us. I was outside his family, but He adopted me. I had no rights, being a slave to sin and to Satan, but I was adopted into God's family and now I have all the rights and privileges that His Son, Jesus Christ has. It's so exciting! "God sent him (Jesus) to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children. And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, 'Abba, Father'. Now you are no longer a slave but God's own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir." I can call God "Daddy" and pray directly to him through Jesus' name. Heaven is my inheritance. I have a loving Father who has given me the gift of His Spirit. Wow! It's almost more than I can comprehend.

I love the words to the song You are Mine sung by Third Day. Here are some of the lyrics:

...Whenever I hear
Of your saving grace
And how you gave your life
In exchange for mine
Sometimes I wonder why you even love me
And why you ever chose to call me child
Then I remember
It's by your sacrifice
I can say that
I am yours and you are mine.
So, Nick and Heidi and Scott and Victoria, if you are reading this, Congratulations! God bless you! and thanks for being an picture of what God has done for me!

4 comments:

mymeanderings said...

I would have loved to have been there.
Your words are so inspiring, Steve and I have often talked about adoption in this light...it really does open our eyes to what the Lord has done for us. Thank you for the reminder!
The Lyrics were a perfect fit for this post!
Love, JO

Corey Adams said...

Interesting post on Adoption. Glad you shared that.

Corey

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave said...

We looked into adoption here in the Philippines (we decided to have children in our late, late, 30's and didn't seem to be succeeding) There is a lady who lives under the bridge in a 10 by 10 hut. She was pregnant for the eighth time. We found out she had actually tried to kill the baby by taking an overdose of medicine. Her husband has a second family he supports in Manila, and this family often struggles just to survive. She wanted us to adopt the soon to be born baby, and we wanted to, but, after we examined all of the government requirements and etc., we found out that the government wouldn't allow a direct adoption in this situation. It could have been done by lying and false papers, but that was not an option we even considered as Christians. I mention it because it seems to be a well trod path here. We lamented that a child so in need, could be prevented from being helped by a bureacracy! I am glad for your friends successful adoptions. The Lord surprised us shortly afterwards with the gift of life growing inside my wife now!